Republic of Ireland
|Republic of Ireland|
Poblacht na hÉireann
|Location Map ( geo)|
A note on nomenclature
Article 4 of the Constitution of Ireland declares that the name of the state is Ireland / Éire; Section 2 of the Republic of Ireland Act 1948 declares that the description of the state is the Republic of Ireland / Poblacht na hÉireann.
Here in the SABRE Wiki we use the latter, descriptive term to refer to the state and its territory – simply in order to avoid any confusion with the geographical term Ireland (the island as a whole).
Road classification and numbering
Public roads in the Republic of Ireland are classified as
- with one- or two-digit numbers prefixed by the letter N (or M where they are of motorway standard); this class is subdivided into national primary roads (N1–N50) and national secondary roads (N51+)
- with three-digit numbers prefixed by the letter R
- with four- or five digit numbers (in 34 separate series corresponding to individual road authority areas) prefixed by the letter L; this class is subdivided into local primary roads (L1000-L4999), local secondary roads (L5000-8999), and local tertiary roads (L10001+)
- 120 km/h (74.6 mph) on motorways
- 100 km/h (62.1 mph) on other national roads
- 80 km/h (49.7 mph) on regional and local roads
- 50 km/h (31.1 mph) in built-up areas