The A298 is a short link road in south London. It did not exist in the original 1922 numbering plan, but was opened in 1927 as part of the Kingston Bypass scheme, linking the bypass to Merton and Wimbledon.
Approaching London on the A3 at New Malden, a flyover gives access to the A298 (traffic from the other direction has to negotiate a set of traffic lights), and continues at elevation over West Barnes Lane (B282) and the parallel railway line to Epsom.
A set of traffic lights at the junction with the B279 Grand Drive (Raynes Park to Sutton) does not detain us long, and then we reach the junction with the A238 at Wimbledon Chase. Straight on is the A238, so this is the end of the A298.
The 1.2 mile road from the bypass to Kingston Road was opened as part of the A3 Kingston Bypass scheme on 15 April 1927 by Stanley Baldwin, Prime Minister. Contractor was Stewart and McDonnell of Westminster.