The A253 is a short link road in east Kent. The road formerly continued on to Ramsgate - but with the extension of the A299, the A253 has shrunk to a withered stump.
Sarre - Monkton
The road leaves the A28 at Sarre, and is here patched as non-primary on the pre-junction sign; its own route confirmatory sign is likewise black-on-white. After a left turn that is still thoughtfully designated as the former B2046, the next roundabout is, however, greeted with a large green sign, and half a mile further on we are still green at the road's premature termination on the "new" A299. Going in the other direction one meets green signs all the way, although there is currently no pre-junction sign at Sarre to confirm the matter - so maybe KCC aren't sure what the road's status is either! It ought by rights to be a primary route, albeit now a very short one, since it cuts the corner off between the A299 and A28; and the A299 is signed "Canterbury A299 (A28)" from Ramsgate. This small conundrum is, sadly, about the only noteworthy thing about the road, or what's left of it.
Original Author(s): Simon Mold
On classification in 1922 the A253 continued east from Monkton to pass to the north of Minster and south of Manston (along a section of road that was rerouted when RAF Manston, now (London) Manston Airport was upgraded during World War II) before crossing the A256 to enter Ramsgate. The road ran along the High Street before ending on the A255 King Street.
The A253 still ran into Ramsgate in 2003. However, in that year, the A299 (which ended on it at Monkton from the 1940s onwards) was extended as far as Ramsgate docks. This has taken over the majority of the A253, leaving the short section remaining. The A299 turns off the ex-A253 in the Chilton area of town, so the A255 completes the road.