The A247 is a relatively minor A-road in west Surrey.
This road used to start at Newland's Corner (named after Robert Newland, the highwayman), right on the top of the North Downs, but it was cut back when the A25 was diverted from its original route through Merrow on to the now former path of the A247.
Clandon Park - Woking
The A247 now starts at Clandon Crossroads (actually a signalised roundabout). Heading north, we pass through the village of West Clandon along a very narrow, bendy bit of road which is treacherous when there has been rain or snow. We first pass the entrance to Clandon Park, the traditional seat of the Earls of Onslow and now owned by the National Trust. A few hundred yards further on is 'The Bull's Head', a pub that was originally built in 1530 and just beyond that is 'The Onslow Arms', which opened in 1623 and is perhaps the only British pub with its own helipad! The A247 then crosses the Surbiton - Cobham - Guildford railway line on a humpback bridge, but straightens and widens out soon thereafter. Just over a mile further on is the 'Burnt Common' interchange which consists of a slip road leading to the southbound A3 towards Guildford and Portsmouth. After another couple of hundred yards, we reach the roundabout junction with the old A3 (now the B2215), which the A247 goes straight across. The southern end of the A2215 (to the left) is now a stub with local access only, but it also forms the slip road off the northbound A3. Some maps even claim the road is only classified in that direction!
The village of Send lies immediately to the north, and the A247 runs straight through it, before bearing around to the right at the 'Cart Bridge', where we cross the River Wey Navigation and then the River Wey itself. After about half a mile, we enter Old Woking and TOTSO left at a roundabout. After running along the High Street, the A247 bears around to the right and after passing Woking Football Club and the Leisure Centre, finishes on the A320 at the 'Turnoak Corner' roundabout in Woking. There's also a one-way spur leading off the A320 a short distance to the north allowing traffic to cut the corner; this is the original line of the A247.
Altogether, the A247 is not the world's most inspiring road, but it's not one of the worst either. It also has the saving grace of passing some jolly fine pubs! :) The signage on this road is always Woking northbound and Dorking southbound. On another note, if you're travelling south, you'll see the sign just before the Clandon Crossroads that claims the A25 runs towards Leatherhead, Dorking and Guildford!
||Clandon Crossroads (A25 / A246)
||Burnt Common (A3)
Original Author(s): Graham Mackay