|Length:||3 miles (4.8 km)|
|Meets:||B2007, A249, B2008, A249|
|Former Number(s):||A249, B2008|
|Old route now:||B2008, A2500, B2231|
|Route outline (key)|
The A250 is a short A-road on the Isle of Sheppey.
The road starts at consecutive sets of traffic lights on the A249 to the east of Queenborough. The two spurs meet at another set of lights and the A250 heads eastwards through Halfway Houses. In the centre of the village, by the eponymous pub, the road TOTSOs left at traffic lights; ahead is the B2008.
The A250 now heads northwards. After leaving town the road crosses a few fields before going over a stretch of water to enter Sheerness. It soon reaches a one-way loop. In this direction traffic uses the southern end of the High Street before bearing left at traffic lights onto the relief road. Southbound traffic goes round the other three sides, with a set of traffic lights, a sharp bend and a TOTSO at a T-junction to rejoin the other carriageway.
At the far end of the relief road, Millennium Way, the High Street is met again by the station. The road then bears left at a roundabout to cross The Moat and end end-on with the A249 at the next roundabout.
On classification, all of the above was numbered A249 and only became the A250 when the road was rerouted as improved access to the port.
In 1922 the A250 started at the TOTSO in Halfway Houses and ran to Eastchurch via Minster where it ended as a useless multiplex with the B2008. This entire road (with the exception of the multiplex) is now the B2008.
In the 1950s the A250 and B2008 numbers were swapped, routing the A250 from Cowstead Farm to Leysdown-on-Sea via Eastchurch. This was later renumbered B2231 but the section west of Eastchurch is now the A2500.
As such, the A250 has had three different routes in a small area. At least it still meets its original route at one spot in Halfway Houses.