|Location Map ( geo)|
|Road and fields|
|From:||Old Weston (TL098783)|
|Distance:||5.1 miles (8.2 km)|
|Old route now:||B660|
|Route outline (key)|
The B662 is a lovely fast and straight road with good visibility, and a complete contrast from the nearby A14.
It starts on the B660 on the northern edge of Old Weston, where the other road has to TOTSO. It then heads northwestwards via Clopton, the only place of any size along the road, before ending at a roundabout on the A605 to the west of Wigsthorpe.
The B662 is only a shadow of its former glory. It originally started on the A45 (now B645) in Kimbolton and headed north to pass through Catworth and then multiplex along the A604 (now A14) into Molesworth. The road then continued north into Clapton to follow its current route to Wigsthorpe.
In 1935 the section between the A45 and A604 was renumbered as part of an extension of the B660. Then in the 1950s RAF Molesworth was extended, severing the road between Molesworth and Clapton. The B662 was rerouted to the north of the RAF station to meet the B660 at Old Weston, giving the road its present route.