Ceann Loch Gilb
|Location Map ( geo)
|Transport Scotland Roads
|Places related to the A83
|Places related to the A816
Lochgilphead is a town at the junction of the A83 and the A816. It lies at the head of Loch Gilp (itself a branch of Loch Fyne) and also on the banks of the Crinan Canal. Argyll and Bute Council is based at Kilmory Castle to the east of the town, around which is located a woodland park and an Iron Age fort. The Forestry Commission also have an office there. Lochgilphead is not the largest town in Argyll, nor is it the historic county town, which was Inveraray, but it is fairly centrally located when the islands are taken into account.
To the south of the town, the A83 extends down the Kintyre Peninsula to Campbeltown, passing the Ferry port for Islay at Kennacraig near Tarbert. On the way to Tarbert, both ends of the B8024 to Kilberry are passed. To the north the A816 leads to Oban, the largest town in the county of Argyll, and the B841 follows the canal to Crinan on the west coast.
As a planned settlement, Lochgilphead was created in 1790 shortly after the completion of a road from Inveraray to Campbeltown. After the completion of the Crinan Canal in 1801 the town became more important as a link across the Kintyre peninsula. The canal itself reaches the sea a mile or so south at Ardrishaig, which is now more or less absorbed into the urban area.
The junction of the A83 and A816 lies at the western end of the town's 'sea front', where the A816 approaches from the north to terminate on the A83 at a mini roundabout. In 1922 the A816 passed through the town, meeting the A83 via Argyll Street, while the A817 was a short link road along the A816s modern route. The Argyll Street Junction is also a mini roundabout which enjoys stunning views down the loch! The northern end of the former A817 is now a simple T junction, with the current A816 line having priority.
|Campbeltown, Ardrishaig, Tarbert
|Also the Islay Ferries at Kennacraig
|Glasgow (A82), Inveraray
|Follows the Crinan Canal
|forms a loop around Knapdale
|Link to A816