Drochaid an Nibheis
|Location Map ( geo)|
The bridge currently used by the A82 dates back to 1933 and was probably designed by Mears and Carus Wilson. It was constructed as part of the major improvements carried out along the whole A82 corridor at that time. It is a single concrete arch, faced in stone, albeit quite high with the river cutting a deep channel at this point.
The older bridge, which appears to date back to Telford's era in the early 19th Century still stands a little upstream and is now a pedestrian bridge, with bollards to prevent traffic using it. This is a single stone arch across the river, and seems to have been abandoned more due to the U turn that the road made whilst crossing it, rather than any problem with the structure itself.
Nevis Bridge Roundabout
Immediately to the south of the bridge lies a small roundabout, helping the A82 turn the sharp bend to cross the river. The other two arms are the unclassified road which winds its way up Glen Nevis in the shadow of Ben Nevis, and the car park for the Ben Nevis Woolen Mill. Until Autumn 2010, this junction also marked the northern terminus of the West Highland Way long distance path. This has now been extended to the town's High Street.
The roundabout has a small paved island in the centre, around which traffic circulates. The island is bereft of obstruction, however, due to the need to allow large vehicles to turn safely. Signs on the approach to the roundabout remind drivers to indicate their direction on approach. This is due to a tendency for traffic continuing along the A82 to not indicate, so either causing hold ups or near misses as other vehicles assume they are continuing straight ahead.
|Inverness , Mallaig (A832), Inverlochy, Claggan,|
|Town Centre, Crianlarich|