B3056 (Lyndhurst - Lymington)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||8.2 miles (13.2 km)|
|Met (1923):||A35, B3057, B3055, B3054|
|Now part of:||A337|
|Route outline (key)|
The B3056 was originally allocated to the main road between Lyndhurst and Lymington in the New Forest.
It started on the A35 High Street in Lyndhurst and ran south along Shrubbs Hill Road and Clay Lane towards Brockenhurst, where it crossed the level crossing immediately before meeting the B3055. After going through Setley it ended in Lymington on the B3054, which then ran along St Thomas Street and Priestlands Place.
By 1928, most of the B3056 had been upgraded to the A3069, and in 1935, it became part of an extended A337, which remains the case today. The short section along Shrubbs Hill Road in Lyndhurst, however, remained the B3056, though by the end of the 1930s it had been renumbered to the B3396. After the creation of the one-way system in Lyndhurst during the 1970s, it also became part of the A337.