This article is about the original A397, a small road that ran between Halberton, near Tiverton, and Uffculme. For the current A397, a short road in Portsmouth, see A397.
The former A397, now an unclassified road leading to Tiverton Parkway station
The original A397 was a short road in east Devon.
The road started in Halberton, where it branched off the A373. It then ran northeastwards through Sampford Peverell before crossing the railway line to end on the A38 at Waterloo Cross near Uffculme. The original draft route was from the centre of Tiverton to the A38, but the A373 ended up going via Halberton as well.
In 1935, the road was classified as a spur of the A373 and following the construction of the M5 and A361 nearby has now been declassified.
A very small part of this road east of M5J27 is now part of the A38 as a "useless spur" - the mainline of the A38 having since been renumbered to B3181. The old bridge over the railway line has been demolished as the current A361 runs directly on its line and the ex-A397 now provides road access to Tiverton Parkway station, where the road bends sharply right and ends in the car park.