A331 (Windsor - Ditton Park)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||Ditton Park (TQ008782)|
|Distance:||3.4 miles (5.5 km)|
|Met (1923):||A332, B3021, B376, B3023, A4|
|Now part of:||B470, M4|
|Route outline (key)|
The A331 was a short A-road running east of Windsor.
Heading east, the road passed under the castle and ran through the Home Park before crossing the River Thames. On the edge of Datchet the B3021 was met end-on and the A331 had to turn left and cross the railway line into the village centre.
Zigzagging across the village green the road continued northeastwards, passing to the south of Ditton Park before ending to the south of Langley, now a suburb of Slough.
It appears that construction of the M4 in the 1960s put paid to the A331; the motorway was built on top of the A331 at Ditton Park with the right-of-way preserved by a new parallel access road. This, and the road into Windsor, became the B470 whilst the northernmost section of the ex-A331 is now the unclassified - and largely residential - Ditton Road, Slough.