|From:||Penryn Bypass (SW771364)|
|Length:||7.2 miles (11.6 km)|
|Meets:||B3292, A39, B3298, B3300, A3047|
|Old route now:||B3300|
|Route outline (key)|
A short account for the short route of the A393 from the bypass of the small town of Penryn, near Falmouth, to Redruth.
Penryn - Redruth
The road starts from the beginning of the Penryn bypass at the Treluswell Roundabout, a double-roundabout junction with the A39 and B3292. It starts by shadowing the railway and is bendy and undulating, following the lie of the land, which is a mixture of farmland and woodland. It passes the small village of Ponsanooth before returning to the rural traverse.
At the hamlet of Comford, there is a junction on a bend with the B3298. Later, around Lanner, the road straightens out somewhat as it makes its final approach into Redruth. South of the town, there is a roundabout, where the route diverges from its original track. That has been re-numbered as part of the B3300. Forking right, a newer built section follows Sandy Lane along the eastern edge of the town, past another double-roundabout with local roads (where the A393 joins the original route of the A30) to end at a small roundabout on the A3047, which continues ahead along the pre-bypass A30.
The road originally carried on to central Redruth along what is now a re-numbered B3300, passing first the B3297 at a five-way crossroads at a traffic signal, then splitting into two sections, along Falmouth Road and Clinton Road (the A3047 until 1935), both of which went under the railway line before ending on the old A30 (latterly the A3047) in the Town Centre, the Clinton Road section ending up near the railway station.
The newer built section which leads to the east of the town, actually takes over for its last half-mile, a former section of the A30 which went away from the centre of the town. The 1939 bypass resulted in that road becoming the A3047 and, when the 1970s second bypass of Redruth opened, unclassified.
Original Author(s): Simon Davies