B3186 (Cullompton - Tiverton)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||5.5 miles (8.9 km)|
|Met (1926):||A38, A373|
|Route outline (key)|
The original B3186 followed the direct route between Cullompton and Tiverton in Devon.
From 1758 to 1883 this route was one of the roads of the Tiverton Turnpike Trust.
Originally, in draft proposals, the road had been proposed to be part of the A373 as a direct road between the two towns. However, a regional division engineer informed the MOT that so little traffic used the route, preferring to go via Willand instead, that it was downgraded to a Class II road at the last minute, perhaps even swapping numbers with the Willand - Halberton Road. A small remnant of this can be found in the 1922 Road Lists, where the A397 is described as Tiverton - Uffculme, which would have been the original draft route, despite the road actually starting in Halberton.
The B3186 had lost its classification by the end of the 1920s, probably due to being little more than a second route between the two towns.