The A439, Stratford-bound, just south of its junction with the A46
The present A439 is one of the shorter 3-digit A-roads. Although a kind of extension of the 1922–1987 A439 Norton (Wychavon, Worcestershire) to Stratford-upon-Avon road, no part of its route coincides in fact with that of the former road of the same number. It was originally a part of the A46, before that route was diverted south of Warwick to bypass Stratford to the north and run to the M5 at Ashchurch.
The route starts on Warwick Road, Stratford, at the northernmost point of the A3400 gyratory which today surrounds the town's main tourist carpark. Following the right (north-west) bank of the River Avon (although it's never in sight), we pass a number of caravan parks sited (in fate-tempting fashion) on the floodplain to our right before the road climbs Hatton Bank to terminate soon afterwards on the A46 at a roundabout marking the eastern end of the Stratford bypass, some 6 km south-west of Warwick.