A491 (Shrewsbury - Cemmaes Road)
|To:||Cemmaes Road (SH821045)|
|Distance:||49 miles (78.9 km)|
|Met (1932):||A5, A483, A4084, A489|
|Now part of:||A458, A470|
|Route outline (key)|
The A491 was originally allocated to the road heading west from Shrewsbury into the Welsh Mountains.
Starting on the A5 in the Shelton area of town, the A491 headed west and soon entered Wales. It crossed the River Severn at Buttington before a short multiplex along the A483 led to Welshpool. The A491 regained its number in the town centre and continued west to Mallwyd, where it turned more southerly. The road ended at Cemmaes Road, where it terminated on the A489.
In 1935, the A491 became an extension of the A458 from Shrewsbury to Mallwyd, and then a rerouted A4084 (which previously ran in the other direction to Cross Foxes near Dollgellau) to Cemmaes Road. This latter section of road was taken over by the extension of the A470 from Brecon to Llandudno in the 1970s but the remainder is still numbered A458.