A455 (Birmingham - Stafford)
|Length:||27 miles (43.5 km)|
|Met (1923):||A456, A41, A4028, A38, A454, A5, A460, A513, A449|
|Now part of:||A34, B4210|
|Route outline (key)|
Presumably starting on the A456 New Street in Birmingham city centre, the road ran along Corporation Street, meeting the A41 and A38 in the process. The A455 bore left onto Lancaster Street and out of town. It continued north through Great Barr to Walsall, where there was a short multiplex along the A454 in the town centre.
Leaving Walsall along Stafford Street, the A455 continued north into Bloxwich before crossing the A5 at a staggered crossroads at Churchbridge to enter Cannock. The road then skirted the edge of Cannock Chase to meet the A513 at Weeping Cross where the road bore left to cross the River Penk and enter Stafford. The road ended on the southern edge of the town centre on the A449, which originally continued on to Newcastle-under-Lyme.
The road was abolished in the changes of 1935, when the entire road was renumbered as part of the northern extension of the A34. Improvements in later years have seen the road removed from the centres of both Birmingham and Walsall. The road has also swapped numbers with the B4210 between Walsall town centre and Bloxwich.