A464 (Oaken - Nantwich)
|Via:||Newport, Market Drayton|
|Distance:||37.5 miles (60.3 km)|
|Met:||A41, A5, A518, A519, A529, A53, A525, A51|
|Now part of:||A41, A529|
|Route outline (key)|
In the original 1922 numbering scheme, the route of the A464 started at Oaken, northwest of Wolverhampton, as it does today. However, it then followed the opposite fork to today's route, running northwards.
Heading north, the road crossed the A5 near Weston under Lizard before running through the centre of Newport. A few miles further on, it reached Hinstock, where it met the A529, and took the right fork to pass through Market Drayton.
The A464 continued north, following the Shropshire Union Canal into Cheshire and the town of Audlem, where there was a short multiplex along the A525 over the canal and into the town centre. The road regained its number by the church and continued on via a more roundabout route into Nantwich where it crossed the railway line by the station before running along Pillory Street to end on the original line of the A51.