|Junctions related to the A949|
Clashmore Junction lies to the north of the Dornoch Firth Bridge and is where the A9 resumes its original route after crossing the bridge. The old route of the A9 was around the head of the Dornoch Firth, via Bonar Bridge, and the road along the north shore of the firth is now the A949. The small settlement of Clashmore lies along the road to the west, around Skibo Castle. The A949 has been turned to meet the new line of the A9, with the old road now gated and partially overgrown forming a long converge to the north of the junction.
The junction itself is a simple T junction, the A9 being quiet enough this far north for such a junction to be sufficient. Traffic turning into the A949 is provided with a left filter lane and a long right turn lane in the centre of the A9.
Clashmore also marks the end of the high quality S2 road on the A9 north which has remained since Luncarty as the road reverts to Telfords 1930 alignment.
|Thurso, Wick (A99), Dornoch (A949)|
|Inverness||via Dornoch Firth Bridge|
|Bonar Bridge, Spinningdale, Clashmore, Lairg (A836)||Former A9|