At the time of the original road classification in 1922, this was the location of a crossroads between the A446 and the B4141, with the road to the east being unclassified. By 1926, the east-west route saw both halves upgraded, with the B4141 becoming the road to the east instead, and the original B4141 upgraded to A4097.
A roundabout was constructed here in the mid-1960s, which co-incided with the improvement of the A446 to the south to a dual carriageway, followed a few years later by the same improvement to the north.
The arrival of the M42 increased the size of the roundabout dramatically. Traffic signals were later added and the number of lanes on the roundabout was increased when the M6 Toll was built.
Plan of proposed services
During the design stage for the M42 four possible locations for service areas were under consideration. One of these was a site on the southeast corner of the roundabout. However a site at junction 10 proved better and the services were eventually built there.