Burton upon Trent
|Burton upon Trent|
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Forward Destination on|
|A38, A444, A511|
|Next Primary Destinations|
|Derby • Leicester • Lichfield • Nuneaton • Uttoxeter|
|Places related to the A38|
|Places related to the A444|
Burton upon Trent is best known for its brewing heritage, home to over a dozen breweries in its heyday. It originally grew up circa 1000AD around the Abbey of St. Modwen, and had grown into a busy market town by the 18th century. While Burton's great bridge over the Trent was in poor repair by the early 16th century it served as "a comen passage to and fro many countries to the grett releff and comfort of travellyng people", according to the abbot. It was replaced by the current A511 bridge in 1864. The town, with a population of 64,450, lies within the National Forest.
Burton acts as a mini-hub of roads which formerly spread across the Midlands. Before the recreation of the A50 from the M1 to The Potteries, roads from the town struck out north, south, east, west, and south-east (!).
In 1938 a western bypass was planned which would take a rather circuitous route well outside the urban area. Quite why it goes so far out of the way is not yet clear but a significant amount of ribbon development occurred along the B5017 at around the same time and it's possible this was a precursor to further development which would infill the area inside the bypass. There is as yet no evidence found to substantiate such a claim. The bypass itself had orders attached to it but was never built. No reasons have been found for its cancellation but the outbreak of war a year later is a very compelling reason for not building a road.
A bypass was eventually built almost 30 years later and to a much higher standard. Not only that but it takes a much straighter line than the 1938 proposal. It was opened on 20 June 1967 by Stephen Swingler, Joint Parliamentary Secretary to Minister of Transport. The 5.25 mile road cost £2.25 million.
Burton Southern Primary Route
St Peter’s Bridge was opened on 14 November 1985 by Lynda Chalker, Minister of State for Transport. The single carriageway bridge and 0.6 mile causeway provided the second vehicular crossing of River Trent and better access to the town centre for Stapenhill and A444. Contractor was Galliford and Sons Ltd.
Evershed Way. The section from Orchard Street to Anglesey Road was opened at the weekend of 3 / 4 March 1990. The roundabout at Orchard Street had been completed a year earlier. Cost was £630,000. This section was initially unclassified.
The section from Anglesey Road to Wellington Road via the new bridge over the railway was opened on 2 April 1992 by Terry Dix, Chairman of Staffordshire Highways Committee, to complete the road. Cost was £2 million. The bridge was built by Galliford Midlands Ltd.. The route was numbered A5189. It bypassed the low bridge on Moor Street.
|Lichfield||Lichfield is reached via A5127|
|Uttoxeter||Uttoxeter is reached via A50|
|M1, Leicester||Leicester is reached via A50|
|Burton upon Trent||The previous route of the A38|
|Town Centre||A previous route of the A5121 and before that the A38|
|A short length from the railway station to the town centre|
|Burton upon Trent|