Looking down the northern end of the A40 at St Johns
The A40 is a short link in St Johns between the A1 and the A3. It starts on the A1 at a crossroads opposite Tynwald Hill, the National War Memorial and Royal Church of St Johns. It then heads south through the village on Station Road, crossing the long closed railway line from Douglas to Peel. The route then becomes tree-lined, passing a field to the left and feels more rural, although it never really leaves the village. A large car park then sits on the left in front of the Saw Mill, with government offices opposite, and the route ends soon after at a skewed crossroads on the A3.
As originally numbered in the 1920's, the southern part of the route, along Foxdale Road was given the B25 number. It had been renumbered as the A40, including Station Road, by 1963. The remainder of the old B25 is now the A30