Starting on the A77 coast road north of Ballantrae the road headed east across the hills before descending into the valley of the River Stinchar. The road now followed the valley upstream via Colmonell, the largest place en route, before eventually crossing the river. The road ended just afterwards on the A714 near Pinwherry.
On classification in 1922 the entire road was numbered B739. It became the A765 later in the 1920s but in more recent years it has been downgraded again to become part of the B734.