The A744 is the number of a defunct A-road in west Lanarkshire with a complicated history.
In 1922 the A744 number did not exist but it came into being later in the 1920s to take over the entire route of the B743. This road started on the A71 in Strathaven and headed south to cross the Avon before winding to the east to reach the A74 (now B7078) in Kirkmuirhill. There was a short multiplex south along the A74 before the road reappeared to take a winding route to the east. It crossed the River Nethan before crossing the ridge and descending into the valley of the River Clyde, where it ended on the A72 near Kirkfieldbank and not that far west of Lanark.
The full length of the A744 did not last long. In 1935 the entire section of the road west of the A74 became an extension of the A726. The road survived the coming of the M74 and downgrading of the A74 (although this did mean that the A744 and A726 joined each other end-on in Kirkmuirhill) but was finally downgraded in the 1990s. The A744, together with the A726 east of Strathaven, is now the B7086, thus meaning that the pre-1935 route now has a single number once more.