|Location Map ( geo)
|2 miles (3.2 km)
|A77, A76, A71
|Now part of:
|Route outline (key)
The A734 was a short route between Hurlford and Riccarton to the south of Kilmarnock.
The route started on the A71 at the crossroads in the centre of Hurlford, where the A76 also terminated, and headed west along Riccarton Road. Apart from a couple of slight kinks to cross the railway, the route was almost a single long straight, which changed name to Hurlford Road midway. It then ended by turning sharp right onto New Street in Riccarton to meet the A77 by the parish church, although it is not entirely clear whether the A77 followed Old Street or Campbell Street at first. By 1948, Hurlford Road had been extended to reach Old Street, and the A734 diverted south on to it to meet the A77, which appears to now use both Old Street and Campbell Street. By 1958, the A77 has settled on Campbell Street, with the A734 extended along the short connecting section of Old Street to meet it at a sharp south facing fork.
The route then remained unchanged until 1973 when the Kilmarnock bypass opened. This led to the A71 being re-routed onto the eastern part of the former A734, following Riccarton Road to the new bypass. The A76 was also diverted to the new Bellfield Interchange, while the western portion of the former A734 route also connected to it in the first instance, although renumbered as the B7072. When the A71 was re-routed a second time onto Kilmarnock's southern bypass, it usurped the B7072 at the roundabout, forcing the B7072 to turn north along a new link to meet the A735 (interim A71, originally unclassified). The roundabout at the western end of the A734 was also added around this time.