|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||East Kilbride (NS643556)|
|Distance:||4.4 miles (7.1 km)|
|Met (1956):||A749, B758, A724|
|Now part of:||A725, B7012|
|Route outline (key)|
The A776 was a short A-road in west Lanarkshire.
Starting on the A749 to the east of East Kilbride the road headed east to cross the River Calder and enter High Blantyre. Now heading slightly south, the road continued into Burnbank, now a suburb of Hamilton, where it ended on the A724.
The A776 came into being in 1935 when the A726 was rerouted south of East Kilbride instead of east; the A776 took over the vacated section. Later road improvements dualled the western section of the A776 (the old road is the unclassified road just to the north). With the completion of the bypass of the eastern section, the A776 was downgraded; the new road became an extension of the A725 whilst the old road through High Blantyre became the B7012. Burnbank itself has now been bypassed (by the A724) and the old A776 through the centre is now pedestrianised.