The A770 is the former A8 and A78 around the coast from Greenock to Inverkip. The A78 now takes the direct route to Inverkip through the Spango Valley, formerly the A742. The renumbering happened some time around 1985 when IBM opened their factory. Some people feel that the two routes should simply have swapped numbers, making this road the A742.
Route: Greenock – Inverkip
The A770 starts at a roundabout junction with the A8 and A78. From this point, the Firth of Clyde forms the border to Zone 8. Our road, a quite wide one, first passes Tesco before heading towards Gourock. We soon pass Greenock Container Terminal and then arrive at Fort Matilda where a coastguard station is passed. After that, we see the sea for the first time. This is Gourock Bay. There is a right turn for the short A771 leading to the Gourock to Dunoon Ferry, which is a direct ferry route across the Clyde though this is now a foot-passenger service only. Our road now does a tight right over a railway bridge to briefly parallel the A771 as we pass Gourock Railway Station, terminus of the Inverclyde Line, electrified in 1967.
The A770 by the Cloch lighthouse
The road starts to tighten a bit at Kempock Point and we now enter Gourock proper, where we run along the sea front for some distance. It is a nice bit of road and the scenery on the right side is spectacular. Now the houses start to thin out as we hit Mclnroy's Point for the second of the Dunoon Ferries, now the only vehicle service: this one crosses to northern Dunoon. We now pass the Ramada Jarvis Hotel, then the next exit is for the Cloch Holiday Camp which is often busy. The scenery remains spectacular as we pass Cloch Lighthouse at Cloch Point. We then pass a garden centre and, with the road passing a wood on the left, we leave the sea behind. A right turn leads to Lunderston Bay.
The next section of road is mostly lined by trees, making it somewhat darker than expected. Very soon, we return to the A78 once more – which has become D2 since we saw it last – and the end of our route. The junction here used to be at-grade but in late 2003 / early 2004 it was rebuilt as a roundabout. Turning left here will take us northeastward back to Greenock by the direct route; right will take us on southwest and south to Wemyss Bay (ferry to Bute) and Largs (Vikingar! leisure centre and ferry to Great Cumbrae).
The 1923 split between A8 and A78
Before its re-routing in 1985, this road was split between the A8 (east of Kempock Point) and the A78 to the west. This appears to be the split shown on the 1923 MOT map (left), although when the A78 was re-routed in 1985 the A8 was truncated allowing the A770 to take over part of both routes.