|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||Ballantrae (N) (NX091850)|
|Distance:||21.8 miles (35.1 km)|
|Meets:||A77, B7044, A714, A77|
|Route outline (key)|
The B734 is a long-way-round route in south Ayrshire.
The road starts at a roundabout on the A77 on the northern edge of Girvan. From here the B734 heads due east although the quickest route from here to the far end of the road is to follow the A77 southwards. The B734 follows the Water of Girvan upstream for a couple of miles to Old Dailly where the road TOTSOs right and climbs steeply out of the valley.
The road winds into the hills and continues on to pass to the west of Penwhapple Reservoir (which is not visible from the road) and east of a large wind farm (which is). Presently the road descends to Barr, where it crosses the River Stinchar then TOTSOs right to cross a small burn. The road now follows the Stinchar downstream, sometimes hugging the edge of the valley floor and sometimes climbing out for lengthy periods. After a few miles there's a steep descent back into the valley and a river crossing leading to a T-junction on the A714.
There follows a multiplex south along the A714 for a couple of miles, following the Stinchar and the Stranraer railway line. On the northern edge of Pinwherry the B734 turns right to regain its number. It crosses the railway immediately and the river soon afterwards and the continues downstream along the same valley. Unlike the first half of the B734, which did look like a glorified country lane in places, this section is mostly wide enough for white lines down the middle of the road.
After going through Poundland the road reaches the village of Colmonell where it follows the main street before bearing sharply right on its way out of town. A mile or so further on the road bears right out of the valley, with the B7044 continuing its course alongside the River Stinchar on to Ballantrae. The B734 heads west across surprisingly flat terrain with the height of Knockdolian to the left. It's not long before the sea becomes visible and we descend towards it, ending in the dunes at a T-junction back on the A77.
In 1922 the section of the present B734 east of the A714 was unclassified whilst the section to the west was numbered B739. By 1932 that road had become the A765 but the B734 had come into existence following its current C-shaped route between Girvan and Pinmore Mains.
This situation lasted until the 1980s when the A765 was downgraded and became a western extension of the B734, giving this road a lengthy multiplex.