|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Carmyle, Glasgow (NS647624)|
|Distance:||1.4 miles (2.3 km)|
|Meets:||A74, M74, A724|
|Route outline (key)|
The A763 is a short link road in the eastern suburbs of Glasgow.
Carmyle - Cambuslang
This road commences as a dual carriageway at its northern end in the City of Glasgow as Carmyle Avenue at a traffic-light-controlled junction with the A74 and B765. Heading south it passes under junction 3 of the M74, with east-facing slips connecting the two routes. It then passes over a suburban railway line close to Carmyle Station in the Carmyle district and drops to S2.
It continues south as Clydeford Road skirting the edge of the Cambuslang Investment Park before crossing the River Clyde on the Clydeford Road Bridge into Cambuslang in South Lanarkshire. There are roundabouts on either side of the bridge, and at the southern one the A763 turns south west as Bridge Street, before coming to an end at a traffic light controlled junction with the A724 opposite Cambuslang Station.
The modern route of the A763 is a relatively recent creation, not least because the bridge over the Clyde is modern. It replaces Cambuslang Bridge a little to the west, which is on the historic route here. In 1922 it was the B760 that crossed here, but later maps show an un-numbered A-road following the route along Fullarton Road and Cambuslang Road to Bridge Street. Maps of the 1950s do label this as the A763, however, and they also show a northern extension along Causewayside to the former A721 Hamilton Road.