|Location Map ( geo)
|3.9 miles (6.3 km)
|A721, A723, A73
|Route outline (key)
The route starts at a roundabout on the A721 on the Bellshill relief road, where the A721 itself doubles back to go through the town centre. The A775 continues east, soon coming to the end of the relief road, Campbell Street, at another roundabout. The route then follows the eastern part of Main Street, which is a wide, relatively straight road with a mixture of residential and commercial properties and a couple more roundabouts to negotiate, the second of which is the start of the B7029. After passing a supermarket and industrial site, modern flats face onto older housing at Mossend, before a park sits to the right, facing another industrial site. The railway is then crossed, and the A775 follows Holytown Road through Wester Holytown, which has a semi rural aspect of assorted houses interspersed with green spaces - neither fields nor parkland! A right left kink leads to a signalised T junction for the B799, beyond which the two routes multiplex along Main Street, past the shops in the centre of Holytown.
The shops soon give way to housing again, and then another roundabout is met. Here the A723 turns off to the right, heading to Motherwell, while the B799 turns left towards Airdrie, giving access to the M8 along the way. Edinburgh Road continues east, past a cemetery and a modern housing estate accessed from another roundabout. The large Newhouse Industrial Estate follows, home to several national distribution centres, and accessed by numerous junctions including a couple of roundabouts further on. The route then comes to an end at the Newhouse Roundabout on the A73 just to the south of M8 J6. The old Edinburgh Road continues ahead, now numbered as the B7066.
Originally part of the A705, the A775 came into being in the 1930s when the A8 was moved onto the central section of the A705 and so the western section was renumbered to avoid a duplicate. The A775 number appears to have been chosen out of sequence because it was only changing one digit. Other 'close' renumberings occured in the area at the time, such as the A8010 being the former B801. The precise date of the creation of the A775 is unknown, however. It is first marked on the 1936 edition of the OS 10 mile map, but is not shown on the 1932 edition (intermediate revisions have not yet been found). However, the route is not listed in the official renumbering documents so far discovered for 1934, 35 and 36, perhaps suggesting that the changes occurred in 1933.
In the late 1960s, the A8 was been downgraded to become the B7066 following construction of the parallel M8. The final 200 yards of what is now the A775 at Newhouse therefore runs along the old route of the A8 immediately west of the Newhouse Roundabout as the A8 (since upgraded to be the M8) was moved half a mile north to butt-end on to the motorway; west of this the old A8 is now lost under a warehouse but was still visible albeit closed to traffic before this was built in 2010. The old junction between the A8 and A775 was a sharp east facing fork.