|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||12.7 miles (20.4 km)|
|Meets:||A71, B743, A726, B755, A724, A72, M74, B754, A721, B799, B7029, A775|
|Old route now:||B743, B7066|
|Route outline (key)|
The A723 forms an important link across North and South Lanarkshire, although none of it is in fact a primary route.
Strathaven - Holytown
The road commences at its southern end in the South Lanarkshire town of Strathaven (pronounced Stray-ven), at a junction with the A71. It heads north east from here as Townhead Street, becoming Green Street as it passes around the northern edges of the town centre. It then heads north (briefly) as Barn Street - here it multiplexes with the A726 - turning east (leaving the A726 to continue north) as Commercial Road, and then Glassford Road, before turning north again as Hamilton Road, and leaving Strathaven behind.
Heading north across open countryside, it passes through the villages of Udstonhead and then Limekilnburn, before commencing its descent into Hamilton as Strathaven Road. It passes the Hamilton districts of Eddlewood and Meikle Earnock, meeting the B755, and becoming Low Waters Road, then Portland Place, Gateside Street and Quarry Street as it crosses over the railway line and enters Hamilton town centre. From here it turns east and then north east forming the eastern part of a ring road around Hamilton town centre as an D2 road, (the A72 and A724 forming the western and northern sections), first as Duke Street, then Low Patrick Street, and Blackswell Lane, where it multiplexes briefly with the A72. At a large signal controlled roundabout it heads north east as Motherwell Road, leaving Hamilton, and South Lanarkshire behind.
Continuing north east it passes under the tangle of slip roads which form junction 6 of the M74, and crosses the River Clyde to enter North Lanarkshire, and the town of Motherwell. Passing through the Airbles district as Hamilton Road it meets the B754 and drops back to S2, and meets the A721 with which it multiplexes around the Motherwell ring road, emerging again as Merry Street at the other side of the town centre, where it crosses the South Calder Water, and leaves Motherwell behind.
Continuing north east it meets the B799 in Cleekhimin, followed by the B7033 at a roundabout in Carfin. Here it heads north, by-passing Carfin, New Stevenston, and Newarthill to end at a roundabout junction with the A775 and B799 at Holytown, close to the Newhouse Industrial Estate and Eurocentral, and the A8 beyond it.
The original route of the A723 left its current route at the Carfin roundabout, continuing in a north easterly direction through Newarthill and Biggar Road to meet the A73 at Newhouse. This is now numbered B7033.
At the Strathaven end, the A723 ends in the same place it did in 1922. However, in 1935, it was extended south along part of the B744 to end on the A70 in Muirkirk. It was downgraded again in the 1970s but this time became the B743.