The B8069 serves the eastern end of Tiree. The road was originally unclassified but gained its number around 1930 at the same time as the other roads on the island.
The road starts less than a mile north of Scarinish at a junction with the B8068. It immediately drops northwards down the very slight hill to meet the low dune bank at the back of Gott Bay, and so follows the northern edge of this enormous expanse of beautiful white sand for well over a mile as it slowly curves eastwards. On the left are scattered buildings, including one of the island's two hotels, all enjoying the most amazing views across the bay to the distant and hazy isle of Mull.
Just beyond the hotel, the road kinks slightly away from the beach, although it remains in sight, but eventually as with all good things this must end and the road starts the gently climb towards Tiree's eastern end. As we leave the beach behind, a grassy 'road' stays close to the shore, serving some of the houses of Ruaig, which is also reached by a proper road from the crossroads ahead, where the other road crosses to the north shore and Salum Bay, another of Tiree's many amazing beaches!
Heading east towards Caoles on Tiree's eastern end
Beyond the crossroads, the road rises and falls as it passes the lonely wind turbine, and finally drops into the small village of Caoles overlooking Gunna Sound, which separates Tiree from Coll (Gunna is a small rocky island lying in the sound). As the B8069 ends, roads head north and south to the scattered houses that line Tiree's eastern end.