The B8044 passing the junction for Newtown of Ardtoe
The B8044 serves the scattered communities of Kentra and Ardtoe around Kentra Bay on the northern edge of the Ardnamurchan Peninsula. The road was unclassified in 1922 but had gained its number by 1932, presumably round the same time the B850 (present A861) was extended north of Acharacle Pier.
The road leaves the A861 at the northern end of Acharacle (Ath-Tharracail) and heads west across the open moorland of Kentra Moss. After half a mile or so, an unclassified road turns south to Arivegaig. The B8044 continues for another mile, through Kentra and drops down to the shoreline before the next junction, where another unclassified road runs north a short distance to Newtown of Ardtoe.
After a steep climb over a hill the road drops back to the shore and its terminus at a jetty. This, as with so many A- and B-roads in the Western Highlands, reflects the seagoing nature of the communities when the road numbers were allocated. Another unclassified road continues west to Ardtoe.