|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Rawyards, Airdrie (NS771665)|
|Distance:||2.9 miles (4.7 km)|
|Meets:||A73, A8010, A89, A73, B802|
|Route outline (key)|
The B8058 acts as a sort of eastern ring road to the Lanarkshire town of Airdrie.
The road starts at the A73 / A8010 junction at Rawyards Roundabout to the north east of the town, and heads east, initially past a derelict industrial site at Rawyards. After a couple of wiggles, the road enters a residential area and drops down across a mini roundabout to the A89 at Clarkston. This junction is traffic-light controlled, with the B8058 dog-legging to the right with a brief multiplex with the A89.
Heading south east now, the B8058 crosses the railway line before turning right at an unsigned TOTSO into Petersburn Road. Now heading south west, the route runs through the modern residential areas of Craigneuk and Petersburn to meet the A73 once more at another unsigned junction in the midst of vehicle hire and commercial sales depots. There's a quick dogleg to the south along the A73 after which the final stretch of the B8058 heads south west from another unsigned T-junction, quickly becoming derestricted. The road heads through parkland to journey's end at a roundabout with the B802 just north of Calderbank.
The northern section of this route, between the A73 and A89 (formerly the A8), originated as part of the B801, which originally included the modern route of the A8010. However, it was quickly changed and extended to nearly its current length to become the B7058, making the road a loop off the A73. Mapping evidence suggests that it was several years after the A8 was given its modern route (in 1935) that the B7058 became the B8058, meaning that the B7058 was out of zone for the interim. Our road was extended to its current length at the same time.