|Location Map ( geo)|
|Distance:||1.6 miles (2.6 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B8037 is a short road in north Stirlingshire, providing the western access to Kippen from the A811. Whilst the A811 may appear, on a map, to be a modern bypass, the road is in fact over 200 years old, havign been built in the 1700s as the military road from Dumbarton to Stirling. However, the western end of the B8037 is the former A811, which was realigned using part of the former railway line to provide a bypass of a narrow and twisty section. Our road had come into existence by 1932 along the two-thirds-of-a-mile east of the A811 and was later extended to its present length.
Starting, therefore, in the centre of Kippen, the B8037 heads north west from a crossroads with the B822. Leaving the village behind, the road passes a couple of fields before a road comes in from the right. This neglected piece of tarmac is, believe it or not, the former line of the A811, still partially open as property access, and as such the former end of the B8037. Today, however, the road continues westwards, dipping slightly to cross the Broich Burn. It then winds gently downhill past scattered houses to meet the present line of the A811 at a sharp fork, with a little used slip road for eastbound - eastbound traffic.
An image has been requested for this article.