The original B8039 was a short link between the then-A88, now the A862, and the then-A833, now the A832, near Muir of Ord. The road bypassed the small town to the south.
Unclassified in 1922, the route gained its number in the later 1920s, certainly before 1932, but was short-lived. In 1935 it was renumbered and extended as the B9169 when the A9 was extended north, so moving the route into Zone 9. Whilst it is possible that the route had been extended between 1932 and 1935 there is no evidence to support this.