|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Perth Road bridge (S) (NN781008)|
|To:||Four Ways roundabou (NN784012)|
|Via:||Stirling Road, High Street|
|Distance:||0.5 miles (0.8 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B8064 follows the original route through the middle of Dunblane of the A9 Stirling to Perth road (now otherwise the B8033 at this point). It is today essentially a town-centre distributor road, and indeed with its one-way sections, this short route (of less than a kilometre in length) cannot be driven throughout in both directions. Its through-traffic role has been taken over since the 1930s by the shorter and more direct Perth Road (dualled in 1959).
The B8064 leaves the B8033 between two closely spaced bridges on the latter road: the first spanning the railway line and the second (opened in 1940) crossing the Allen Water and giving access to a much more recent route bypassing the historic town centre. Heading first north and close to Dunblane railway station, the B8064 then curves to the right to cross the ancient river bridge (dating back to 1409; last widened in 1927) and reach the southern end of Dunblane's ancient High Street.
As far as vehicular traffic is concerned, this first section of the route (Stirling Road) is today, however, one-way southbound only, and vehicles wanting to head north towards the High Street from the B8033 must follow Beech Road, a short 90-m branch of the B8064 which runs between the new and old bridges entirely on the east bank of the river.
Stirling Road and Beech Road meet on the eastern side of the Allan Water, from where the B8064 continues north for just over 200 m along the narrow shop-lined High Street (one-way again, but now in the northbound direction) before reaching a small floral roundabout where the route swings to the right. The road – still called High Street, but now broader and more residential in character (it was laid out circa 1825) – heads briefly northeastward, then turns to the southeast to run back to the main B8033 Perth Road, which it meets at the Four Ways roundabout by St Mary's Episcopalian church.