|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Port of Menteith (NN582014)|
|Distance:||5 miles (8 km)|
|Route outline (key)|
The B8034 is a link road across the upper Forth Valley. It was originally unclassified but had gained its number by 1932.
The road starts at a T junction on the A81 at Port of Menteith and heads south, skirting the eastern shore of the Lake of Menteith, Scotland's only natural Lake. After a short distance, a small car park tucked under the trees gives access to the ferry boat over to the Inchmahome Island and its medieval priory, a very enjoyable day out. The road wiggles along the shore before turning away and climbing a little past fields and patches of woodland. Rarely straight for long, the road does at least manage to maintain a centre line as it continues southwards, through Big Wood and past the tiny settlement of Dykehead next to Cardross Park.
The River Forth is crossed on an old stone-arch bridge, just single-track, but the road widens out again beyond. The road seems much straighter now, but a couple of tight bends around a wooded knoll dispel that illusion, and then the road winds through fields to meet the A811 at Arnprior.