The B8020 provides a back-road link between the Villages of Broxburn, Winchburgh, and Woodend in West Lothian. The road was originally unclassified but had gained its number by 1932.
The route begins at a T-junction on the A899 in Broxburn town centre and heads north, arrow-straight out of the town centre, and past an important industrial area before heading past some traditional terraced mining houses. Leaving Broxburn the speed limit rises to 40 mph and we encounter the first of several 90° bends. As we turn we see immediately in front of us a huge pit bing (spoil tip) – a legacy of the area's mining past – and the speed limit rises to NSL. We skirt the bing via our second 90° bend and soon the limit drops to 30 mph as we enter the outskirts of Winchburgh, where another 90° bend on a junction takes us over the Union Canal via a narrow bridge. We now pass typical 1960s-build council housing as we head up towards a T-Junction with the B9080 (former A9).
Turning right onto a multiplex with the B9080 we run through the Victorian town centre and pass more mining cottage terraces. As we pass a now-defunct Victorian-era primary school we turn left and leave the B9080 behind. The limit now rises back to NSL and the road heads arrow-straight once more under two bridges, one carrying the main Edinburgh to Glasgow railway line and the other the M9. Beyond the bridges we enter a series of tight narrow bends, a couple of which are made all the more challenging by having junctions on them. Leaving these behind, the limit drops to 30 as we enter the final and smallest village on the road, Woodend. Here, after a short distance, we reach the end of the road at a T-junction with the A904. This junction has been reprofiled, with the A904 realigned and the B8020 extended to meet it.