Wellington is a former Primary Destination, as indicated by the green box on this 1970 OS Route Planning Map
Wellington on the 1922 MoT Road Map
Wellington is a small town in Shropshire, now part of the New Town of Telford.
It is also a former Primary Destination, a status taken over by Telford itself in 1970.
Historically, Wellington was an important waypoint on routes through the eastern part of Shropshire wih three routes within the area of regional importance on their way the county town of Shrewsbury (and beyond that, Wales) and other parts of the country: A5 towards Cannock and Wolverhampton and A518 towards Stafford. This was caused by the geography of the area including the hill at The Wrekin and the Ironbridge Gorge to the south meant that the east-west routes came together through the town. In addition, the A442 route between Chester and Hereford ran through the eastern side of the town.
In the mid-1830s, Thomas Telford constructed his Holyhead Road, which used what is now parts of the B5061 past Wellington town centre on the section between Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton.
Today, the town is bypassed to the south by the M54 motorway.
The non-trunk roads in Wellington are maintained by Telford and Wrekin Council. The only road maintained by Highways England through the town is the M54.