On the 1821 Reform Act Ordnance Survey map of Wolverhampton, the road network within the Bilston area is recognisably similar to that of today, with one major exception. Wellington Road (now part of A41) was missing, only constructed a few years later when Thomas Telford built his Holyhead Road improvements. Prior to that, both north-south and east-west traffic shared High Street and Church Street through the town centre, with what is now the B4162 forming the main route onto Wolverhampton city centre.
There were plans for a motorway to bypass the town, called the Bilston Link Motorway. It would have reached the M6 at Junction 10. However, these plans were scrapped, and a number of years later a modified plan, the Black Country Route, consisting of parts of the A463 and the A454 was constructed roughly along the same corridor; although the section bypassing the town centre was constructed further in to the centre than the originally planned route, meaning that it is more of a throughpass.