The A5116 is a primary link road heading north of Chester city centre. Originally the A51 and then the A41 after 1935, it gained its present number in the 1940s when that road was moved onto the present bypass.
The road starts at a roundabout on the A5268 Inner Ring Road, although before this was built it apparently continued into the city centre to end at The Cross on the A51, A55 and A548. The road heads north and immediately joins a gyratory where the A540 bears left and it bears right.
The A5116 continues north along Liverpool Road. It soon reaches a roundabout on the A5480 and then becomes dual as it passes the Countess of Chester Hospital (the title Countess of Chester is a secondary title of the Princess of Wales; the hospital was opened by the Countess herself, Princess Diana, in the 1980s). There are a number of sets of traffic lights and gaps in the central reservation to allow access to side streets. There's a zigzag to go over the Wirral Line by the closed Upton station, after which the road narrows again to pass Dale Barracks, which are accessed at a roundabout. The A5116 ends shortly afterwards at a sharply angled signalised T-junction on the A41.