The A810 is an urban A-road in Dunbartonshire, stretching through the north western suburbs of Glasgow. It commences at a triangular junction with the eastbound carriageway of the A82 in Duntocher, there is no access at this point to the westbound carriageway: a 1.5 mile diversion east and back via the Kilbowie Roundabout and the A8014 is required to head west from here. While it is probable that when the junction was first built it was full access, as traffic flows increased, it was restricted. This certainly happened before the footbridge was erected across the A82 at the junction, as the piers for the bridge seem to prevent an easy route for turning traffic to cross the A82.
Heading east the A810 travels through Duntocher and into Hardgate, both previously villages but now parts of the larger town of Clydebank, albeit older. The A8014 heads south from the Hardgate Roundabout, which also gives access to the large suburb of Faifley to the north. As the edge of Hardgate is reached, the route becomes NSL and briefly passes through so more open countryside, although the high hedgerows hide a golf course and sports pitchesat first. The road now runs high above the large Drumchapel housing estate, allowing glimpses of the City of Glasgow to be seen to the south. The B8050 is now met at Langfaulds Roundabout, constructed in 2010; originally it was a simple T-junction.
Shortly afterwards, the road enters Bearsden at Castlehill, a point close to what was once a Roman Fort on the Antonine Wall. It continues for another half-mile to terminate at a TOTSO junction with the A809, known as the Stockiemuir Diamond.
Back in 1922 the A810 was about a third longer than it is today. It extended all the way west to the original A82 (now the A814) in Old Kilpatrick. However, in 1935, the A82 was moved onto the then-newly built Great Western Road. For about a mile this followed the route of the old A810, but then kept to the north of Old Kilpatrick itself. The remaining stub of the A810 that connected the new A82 to the old, was now renumbered as the A878.
The tricky thing with this is that the Great Western Road (which included the northern bypass of Old Kilpatrick) seems to have been opened in 1927, and was originally numbered as the A876. The fact that the A87x numbers seem to have been allocated at much the same time suggests that the A878 dates back to 1927, so the A810 was truncated after a mere 5 years, presumably to avoid the need for a multiplex along the A876.
The 1922 MOT Road List defines this route as: Old Kilpatrick - Bearsden 'Changes made by the MOT prior to 1935 were: Truncated at Duntocher