A806 (Canniesburn - Scotstoun)
|Distance:||3 miles (4.8 km)|
|Met (1961):||A81, A809, A82, A814|
|Now part of:||A739|
|Route outline (key)|
The A806, as originally classified in 1922, ran from Canniesburn to Scotstoun via Anniesland Cross, in the western suburbs of Glasgow. It seems to have acquired a slight dogleg at Anniesland when the A876 (now A82) Great Western Road extension was opened in the late 1920s, although the junction has been rebuilt since, so it is not clear what the precise alignments of the roads was. Certainly the 1923 map shows a sharp bend or even TOTSO at this junction. The majority of the route is S4 or D2 today, and seems to have been designed that way, as the facing properties are Victorian/Edwardian in places.
The section between Canniesburn and Anniesland is now part of the A739 which was extended north of the Clyde with the opening of the Clyde Tunnel, whilst the section from Anniesland to Scotstoun (via Anniesland Road and Kingsway) is now unclassified.