B3336 (Isle of Wight)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Upper Green Road (SZ625890)|
|To:||Embankment Road (SZ628886)|
|Distance:||0.3 miles (0.5 km)|
|Now part of:||B3395|
|Route outline (key)|
The second incarnation of the B3336 was a short link road on the Isle of Wight connecting the village of St Helens with its station. Owing to its short length the history of the road is not known in detail. The B3336 number seems to have become available in 1935 and it is possible but not certain the road became classified then, as a number of classified roads existed purely to reach railway stations. The OS First Series map (published after the station was closed in the 1950s) labels the road as a spur of the B3330, although this may be a misprint. Either way the road became part of an extension of the B3395 in the 1970s and remains this number.
Starting on the B3330 Upper Green Road the B3336 headed south past the village green before descending Station Road. The road bore to the left to pass the station building and then end at the next road junction. The road ahead, Embankment Road into Bembridge, was privately owned toll road until 1971, which could explain why it was unclassified.