|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Bar End Interchange (SU489281)|
|To:||Winchester city centre (SU478299)|
|Distance:||1.5 miles (2.4 km)|
|Meets:||M3, A31, B3404, B3331, B3040, B3047, B3044, B3420|
|Former Number(s):||A272, A31, B3044, A3092|
|Route outline (key)|
Winchester's B3330 forms a link from the M3 at junction 10 into the city centre, where it disappears into the maze of B-roads (unsigned as far as route numbers are concerned). Running along North Walls and City Road, it terminates at the signalized junction with the B3420 (Andover Road / Sussex Street) and B3044 (Stockbridge Road).
In 1922, the Chesil Street section of of what is now the B3330 was part of the A272, which ran north to meet the then-route of the A31 along Bridge Street. In the same year the northern section of today's B3330, from Eastgate Street to City Road was numbered B3044; this was upgraded to become the A3092 in 1935.
When the junction of the A33 Winchester Bypass and Bar End Road was grade separated in 1976, the A272 was rerouted to link to it. This route was downgraded and became the B3330 when the M3 was completed over Twyford Down in 1995.