A511 (Atherstone - Burton)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||Burton upon Trent (SK256232)|
|Distance:||19 miles (30.6 km)|
|Met:||A5, A453, A514, A50|
|Now part of:||B4116, A444|
|Route outline (key)|
The original allocation of the number A511 was to a medium-length road in the East Midlands.
Starting on the A5 in the centre of Atherstone, the road headed north through Sheepy Magna to reach Twycross, where it bore to the left. It continued vaguely northwards, however, passing to the west of Swadlincote and eventually reaching Burton upon Trent, where it ended on the A50 to the east of town.
In 1935 the Atherstone to Twycross section was reclassified as the B4116, whilst the section from Twycross to Burton became part of a northern extension of the A444. The A511 road number became disused but reappeared in the same area in the 1990s: what was the A50 at its northern end is now the A511.