|Location Map ( geo)
|The University of Derby
|Forward Destination on
|A6, A38, A50, A52, A61, A516, A5111
|Next Primary Destinations
|Ashbourne • Burton upon Trent • Chesterfield • Loughborough • Mansfield • Matlock • Nottingham • Uttoxeter
|Places related to the A6
|Places related to the A38
|Places related to the A50
|Places related to the A52
Derby is the 18th largest settlement in the UK with a population of 233,700. Derby became a city in 1977 so signs can still be seen in the city which have 'city centre' patched over 'town centre'. It is a Primary Destination in the East Midlands and is on the boundary between zones 5 and 6 since the A6 runs through the city.
Derby is home to important British industry such as Bombardier and Rolls-Royce.
Derby Inner Ring Road
The Inner Ring Road was completed in stages between 1938 and 2011. For further details see A601.
Derby Outer Ring Road
The Outer Ring Road was completed in stages between 1920 and 2011. For a detailed history see A5111.
London Road Diversion
Derby Station Approach Link Road
Stage 1 from The Cock Pitt into Pride Park was opened on 9 January 1997 by Nigel Rudd, Pride chairman. It included a 4 span viaduct over the railway north of the station. B6000 was re-routed to join the road. It linked to an adjacent section of Pride Parkway (from Derwent Parade and A52 Wyvern link) which had been officially opened on 6 January 1997. Cost was £9 million. It was initially unclassified but later became part of the diverted A6.
Derby Southern Bypass
The 14.9 mile A50 dual carriageway from A516 at Hilton to M1 J24 Kegworth Interchange was opened on 5 September 1997. This was a day later than the official opening by Baroness Hayman, Roads Minister, to allow fencing to be tightened. Also included the 1 mile A6 spur from Aston Interchange to Thulston Roundabout. Contractor was Tarmac Civil Engineering, cost £109.5 million.
|Burton upon Trent
|Accessed via A38 & A516
|Much of route uses A38
|Accessed via A38
|Derby Outer Ring Road
There are a number of important junctions in Derby. See Derby/Named Junctions