|Location Map ( geo)|
|To:||Dodson's Gap (SW681245)|
|Distance:||10.2 miles (16.4 km)|
|Met (1932):||A39, B3362, B3293, B3295|
|Route outline (key)|
The B3291 was a quite lengthy B road that was killed off in one fell swoop within the last 25 years. It started on Eastwood Road, Penryn, right by the quayside, at a T-junction with the A39 (now the B3292 at this point). The turn is still signposted for Gweek. It then climbed Hill Head, passing under the railway by means of a short tunnel before emerging into the countryside. A little further on, the road now also goes under the A39 Penryn bypass, but that, of course, is a later addition.
The route continued through Lamanva, Treverva, Trewardreva, Brill, and Gweek – where it had a junction with what had originally been the B3362 from Rosevear (renumbered by 1935 as a spur of the B3293) and now also unclassified. After crossing the main line of the B3293 at Rose-in-the-bush, the B3291 originally continued for another 900 m or so, swinging south to terminate at a point on the Helston to Lizard road (then the B3295, now the A3083) known as Dodson's Gap.
Post 1942, with construction of the Culdrose Royal Naval Air Station leading to the loss of the northwesternmost 1200 m of the B3293, the Rose-in-the-bush crossroads to Dodson's Gap section of the B3291 was re-assigned to the B3293. Later still, that section was in its turn swallowed up by a southern expansion of the airfield and a new route was constructed for the B3293 from the A3083 just south of Dodson's Gap to a point on the original alignment some 800 m southeast of Rose-in-the-bush. At the same time, a curve was built to bring the B3291 from immediately east of Rose-in-the-bush to Gilly Gabben on the old B3293 and then along its alignment to where it met the new section.
The B3291 was always a rather narrow road, resembling a farm lane at certain points and with frequent sections not having enough room to allow for the provision of a centre line.