|Location Map ( geo)|
|From:||Trevemper, Newquay (SW818600)|
|To:||Three Burrows (SW746470)|
|Distance:||9.8 miles (15.8 km)|
|Meets:||A392, B3285, B3284, A30, A390, B3274|
|Former Number(s):||B3283, A30|
|Old route now:||A3058, A392|
|Route outline (key)|
Newquay - Three Burrows
The road begins at the Trevemper Roundabout where the primary route A392 turns right along the river Gannel to head to Newquay. It's mainly rural out here and after a couple of minor junctions, the road reaches Rejarrah Hill, a long, straight, gentle hill down with a matching one up the other side of the valley. Known locally as "The Big Dipper", much overtaking is carried out here, but there have also been fatal accidents. The steeper, narrower road just to the east is the original line of the A3075, bypassed for obvious reasons.
Goonhavern is the first settlement of note and has a 30 mph speed limit. In the village is a former staggered junction, which has become Cornwall's seemingly favourite junction type, the double mini-roundabout. Right is the B3285 towards Perranporth and left is the same road headed for the A30 but not marked from this direction.
Next is a small place called Perranwell which doesn't warrant its own speed limit. A sharp deviation to the left follows and a 40 mph speed limit is imposed as the road climbs a hill into the village of Perranzabuloe.
Penhallow is next. Again it's too small to have a different speed limit, but do look out for the turns to the amusingly named Ventongimps and Healey's Cyder Farm, which you can visit - the Cyder drinking perhaps best left to the conclusion of the journey.
It's back out into the Cornish pastures and after a couple of miles further is a staggered junction with the B3284 called Pendown Cross. The left turn is first and leads to Truro, followed by the right for Perranporth.
In 1922 the road was numbered as the B3283. At first numbering it started from central Newquay from the junction of Mount Wise and Berry Road (in 1922 numbered as the B3282). It took Trenance Road and crossed what is now the A3058 into Treninnick Hill and Treloggan Lane to what is now the Treloggan Roundabout at Lane, but was in 1922 a simple TOTSO and right turn to take the current A392 route to Trevemper.
It had acquired the current route number by 1932. By that time the route also been diverted to start from the now unclassified Edgecome Avenue from the cliff top road. It then went along the second part of Edgecome Avenue, now classified as the A3058, and took the current route of that road to the Mellanvrane Roundabout (only built in the late 1980s) and then along the Gannel via the current A392 route.
In the late 1980s a new road was built between Mellanvrane and Mount Wise and the opportunity was taken of diverting the A392 onto the A3075 route from Trevemper. The A3058 was diverted away from the town centre to take the final part of the A3075’s route. In addition, the strange parallel route section with the A30 at the end is a newer addition. The road for most of its life started as a fork junction from the A30, at the point where it gets to within a hedge of that road.
For a description of the journey in reverse please see A3075/Reverse Route.