Bannatyne Street, viewed from Lanark railway station
The B7017 is a very short link road in Lanark, which is not signposted at all. The route starts at traffic lights at the northern end of the A743 High Street and heads east along Bannatyne Street, which is lined with shops. It then passes the town's railway station, which is the southern terminus of the Argyle Line, quickly followed by a supermarket accessed by a mini roundabout. Now heading south on Ladyacre Road the B7017 becomes more residential just before it ends by a retail park at a roundabout on the A73, Hyndford Road.
Owing to the road's short length its history is not fully known; it was originally unclassified and was presumably classified before 1927, as it is known that neighbouring numbers had been issued by then, as depicted on a 1927 revision of the MOT map (the sheet in question does not cover Lanark). However, the 1933 OS Quarter Inch Map colours the route in red, suggesting it might be an A road (the colouring is not completely accurate at this stage, with some B roads shown in red, and many not depicted at all). The 1946 edition of the Quarter Inch Map shows the route as an un-numbered B road, and the contemporary Six Inch map (revised 1941 / printed 1949) numbers it as the B7017.